Thursday 26 April 2012

3KCBWDAY4 - Raining in my art

A Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons?
As spring is in the air in the northern hemisphere and those in the southern hemisphere start setting their sights for the arrival of winter, a lot of crocheters and knitters find that their crafting changes along with their wardrobe. Have a look through your finished projects and explain the seasonality of your craft to your readers. Do you make warm woollens the whole year through in preparation for the colder months, or do you live somewhere that never feels the chill and so invest your time in beautiful homewares and delicate lace items. How does your local seasonal weather affect your craft?


The UK is famed for its wet weather. I am always cold, even in the summer. Conversely I also over-heat easily! My thermostat is broken...

I love to knit wool and wool mix items because I never manage to perfectly time the completion of a summery cotton project so that it coincides with the month or two of true summer we get in England. I've found that I don't like knitting with cotton very much so that could be the other reason!

Scarves and shawls are awesome for layering but I don't like a big thick lump of wool round my neck so I like to make them in fingering weight yarn.


I made my Colonnade in Bessie fingering weight yarn from SuperKnits. If you haven't checked out the shop, you really should! Her colours and especially her teals are amazing. I wore my Colonnade pretty much every day over the autumn and winter but I recently left it at a friend's house by mistake. She smokes (yeuch!) so when little Bessie Colonnade got home she was most stinky so she had a bath in some Soak and a re-block for good measure :)

This year I hope to make many more items in fingering weight or lighter weights such as Whisper Cardigan by Hannah Fettig and Rubbish Mojitos by Woolly Wormhead because I just love the look of knitted fabric at this gauge. And because wool is so warm and light it's perfect for our changeable weather and my broken thermostat!

3KCBWDAY4

1 comment: